11 Reasons to Eat More Grass-Fed Collagen and Gelatin
Have you ever heard of gelatin or collagen? If so, do you consume gelatin regularly? If not, there are many reasons why you should consider adding this awesome superfood into your diet. Gelatin is easily one of the most overlooked super foods that we all should be eating more of on a daily basis!
I first learned about the health benefits of gelatin in the book Nourishing Traditions (if you haven’t read this book, you need to!). Even though I had grown up eating a real food diet, I never really knew why gelatin was so good for us until I read this book. This book was the book that brought me back to real food and helped me understand the traditional wisdom behind eating certain foods like ferments, meat, saturated fats, etc.
Gelatin is one thing that I learned about in the book and found many benefits to consuming it regularly.
Here are 11 reasons to eat more collagen and gelatin**:
- Supports and promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails growth.
- An easily assimilable source of collagen, which helps support skin elasticity.
- Supports bones and joint mobility and helping improve joint recovery when injured.
- Helps improve aid in digestion.
- Helps support healthy gut lining and intestinal permeability.
- Great source of a wide range of amino acids (18 in total).
- Helps support healthy inflammatory response.
- Great source of easily digested protein (great for exercise recovery).
- Can help support better sleep.
- Can help support healthy nervous system function.
- Can help stop bleeding from wounds both internally and externally.
All in all, gelatin is just downright good for us to eat, so let’s eat more of it!
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
When it comes to gelatin, quality is of the utmost importance. The very best way to consume more gelatin is to simply drink homemade bone broth or eat soups and sauces made from this bone broth.
Canned and boxed broths are going to have very little gelatin in them and are quite often filled with other unsavory ingredients. I recommend staying away from store-bought broth unless absolutely necessary.
I also don’t recommend buying the typical gelatin you find at the store. This gelatin is going to be sourced from unhealthy, feedlot cattle and will be very poor quality. When it comes to gelatin (and any animal product), you want to always look for grass-fed and pastured products.
Easy Ways to Add more Gelatin to Your Diet
Like I mentioned above, the best source of gelatin is going to be in your homemade bone broths. But, it’s always handy to keep a jar of gelatin powder on hand for times when you may not have homemade broth to eat (despite my best efforts, I do run out from time to time), or when you just want to add a little boost of nutrition to your food.
Right off the top of my head, here are some super simple ways to add more gelatin to your diet. Scan through these and then check out all the recipe ideas below!
- Add gelatin to your smoothies for a protein boost.
- Add gelatin to your coffee or tea.
- Use gelatin to make tasty snacks and desserts.
- Sprinkle some gelatin over your soups and stews.
- Add gelatin to your sauces and gravies.
If you are interested in learning more about gelatin or adding this awesome superfood to your diet, check out Vital Proteins’ line of Grass-Fed Collagen and Gelatin.